Marrieds with a Ministry Sunday School Class
Two Rivers Baptist Church
Nashville, TN, USA
For Sunday, 06 April 2002
Green: on hand out
Ink: to be filled in on hand out
Bright blue: term from text (to be defined or discussed)
Hebrew word for circumcision is műl; it means to cut short, to cut down, or to cut off. It is used not only of people in circumcision, but also of cutting grass (short), or cutting trees (down).
- Circumcision of the Flesh
- The Laws
- Gen 17:10-27 - Covenant of circumcision established.
The Hebrew word for circumcision means cut short.
God established the covenant of circumcision with Abraham.
A covenant is a promise in the form of a legal agreement.
- Ex 12:43-48 - Circumcision required of aliens to partake of Passover celebration.
- Leviticus 12:3 - Legal institution.
- The seriousness
- Ex 4:22-26 - Zipporah circumcises Moses' son to preventYHWH killing him.
- Josh 5:1-9 - Joshua circumcises the men who had not been during the 40 year wilderness wanderings.
- Potential for Abuse: Gen 34:1-25 - The sign alone is not enough. The men of Shechem took circumcision in hopes of material reward.
- and enmity. Word uncircumcised used of Israel's enemies, mostly of the Philistines. Judges 14:3; 15:18; I Sam 14:6; 17:6, 36; 31:4, I Chron 10:4; Is 52:1
- and violent death. The uncircumcised, those who are not part of God's covenant family, are destined to be cut down. Ezekiel:
- 28:10 - of the prince of Tyre, oracle of woe: "You will die the death of the uncirc." (killed by the swords of strangers)
- 31:18 - of Pharaoh, oracle of woe: "You will lie in the midst of the uncircumcised, with those slain by the sword"
- 32:19-32 (10 refs) - of the multitude of Egypt, oracle of woe: "uncircumcised, slain with the sword" as a litany
- Circumcision of the Heart
- Lev 26:40-42 - A circumcised heart is humble.
- Deut 10:12-16 - A circumcised heart is submissive.
- Jer 4:3-4 - A circumcised heart is repentant.
- Jer 6:10 - A circumcised heart loves God's Word.
- Jer 9:25-26 - Man's circumcision of his own heart is temporary.
- Deut 30:1-8 - God promised to circumcise the hearts of His people permanently.
Great Bible study software:
David J. Finnamore